Sunday, December 14, 2014

Research Blog Post 1 : Epic Rap Battles of HIstory


Epic Rap Battles of History (ERB) is the brain child of NicePeter (Peter Shukoff) and EpicLLOYD (Lloyd Ahlquist). This is  series of videos that pit two people form history and pop culture in a rap battle. My top three rap battles that they have done are: Sir Isaac Newton vs Bill Nye , Bob Ross VS Pablo Picasso and Dr. Seuss VS Shakespeare. All of these can be found on the ERB YouTube Channel and NicePeters channel.

Their work provides a comedic scenario that produces a "what if this were to happen". The writing of each video is very well done because they use historical facts about each person and also make it rhyme. They also have behind the scenes videos that show their creative process. they use a slot of green screening, keying, and rendering to produce the final product.

I don't know how much better these rap battles could be. It seems like every one that they release tops the last one that was made. They are cleaning up their special effects and they are getting traction enough to have famous rappers come into the videos as well.

1 comment:

  1. I've seen a few of these videos, and I've thought they were cute, but usually, nothing more than that. I do think they are very interesting points of view that I probably wouldn't have seen otherwise, although, I've only ever been interested in them for their comedic elements.

    Also, I appreciate you adding this to the research blogs because I enjoy their mix medias and their (maybe not so obvious) study of the arts.

    Is there any more information on how they got started?

    ReplyDelete